Phone
Request Callback
close up image of coins and house

How does the 95% Mortgage Guarantee Scheme work?

  • Free initial advice
  • Personal service
  • Exclusive rates
  • Access to the whole market

Trustpilot reviews


You can read our customer reviews here.

Click here

What is the Mortgage Guarantee Scheme?

The new 95% LTV Mortgage Guarantee Scheme has been announced in the Chancellor’s March 2021 budget. The scheme is hoped to assist those that wish to purchase their home with a 5% deposit by encouraging more lenders to offer these products following their demise during the pandemic.

Why has the government introduced the scheme?

Earlier in 2020 the government looked to provide some impetus to the housing market by putting in place a stamp duty tax holiday, giving savings up to £15,000 to some would be home buyers. Whilst this had its desired effect many lenders started to restrict the availability of their mortgage ranges and one sector to suffer the most was that of the higher loan to value mortgage.

Nearly all lenders withdrew these from the market in entirety and although we have seen a good number of 90% LTV options return, 95% loans still remain scarce.

The 95% LTV Mortgage Guarantee Scheme therefore has been introduced with effect from April 2021 to encourage lenders to re-enter this arena.

Mortgage Guarantee Scheme Information

Mortgage Guarantee Scheme explained?

The perceived risk by lenders when offering 95% mortgages has, as mentioned above, seen many simply withdraw from this market. The scheme therefore will provide a guarantee to the lender by the government for any loan offered at 95% loan to value.

It is important however to understand that this guarantee is provided for the lender and not you as the intended borrower. It will also not mean than a lender will take any different or a more lenient view of your finances when underwriting your application. Affordability will still remain an important aspect of their assessment as will your credit history.

In line with the additional risk that lenders will place on 95% loan to value mortgages, expect this to be reflected in the interest rates they offer. These will likely be higher than their schemes for 90% mortgages.

Sadly not all lenders will engage with the new government scheme and therefore do expect there to be a reduced number of options available.

Am I eligible for a 95% mortgage?

As with any government housing scheme, there will be certain criteria that needs to be fulfilled. Fortunately the 95% LTV Mortgage Guarantee Scheme looks to have been introduced with these kept to a minimum.

It is available to first time buyers plus home movers and also being made available for the purchase of new build properties and those on resale. Perhaps the only restriction of note is the maximum purchase price of £600,000.

How can I apply for the Mortgage Guarantee Scheme?

We understand that with numerous schemes available to provide assistance to many looking to purchase their home, it can be confusing as to which you may be eligible for and indeed which may suit you best.

The 95% LTV Mortgage Guarantee Scheme officially starts with effect from April 2021 and here at The Mortgage Centres, all our advisers are fully trained and in a position to assist you. Why not make us your next step towards purchasing your new home and contact us today for your free initial consultation.

Contact Us


Fill out your details and we will contact you

Click here
Proudly working with
… and many more!

Thanks for getting in touch, a member of the team will be in contact shortly.

TrustPilot Badge